Wednesday, October 28, 2009

New journal article with Maori colleagues

My latest publication
INDIGENOUS CONTEXTS FOR RESPONDING TO CHALLENGING BEHAVIOUR: CONTRASTING WESTERN ACCOUNTABILITY WITH MAORI RESTORATION OF HARMONY
was written with two Maori colleagues from New Zealand - Mere Berryman and Sonja Macfarlane. This article was published in the International Journal of Restorative Justice and is available at
www.crjcs.org under the Vol 5, No 1 link (right hand side of web site).

When I went to New Zealand in 2004 one of the things I hoped to learn is what Maori traditional thinking could tell us to help our practices. I found it took five years to develop the relationships with Maori and an understanding of their rich culture so that I could engage in the conversation that led to this article.

I believe you will find this article most interesting, particularly for those who ask - What are we restoring? Maori tell us that at the core of what restorative justice is about is relationships, and what we are restoring are those relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment