Thursday, January 1, 2009

As the new year begins I renew my commitment to seeking a home where I can teach in the areas of criminal justice and education and continue research in the areas of restorative justice and restorative practices in schools. This year I want to explore the impact of disparity on people living together peacefully. As a New Zealand academic said, the disparities between the haves and have nots has led to a racialized social order and, in turn, violence. In carrying on discourses about peace and peace education I believe we can no longer ignore the impact of disparity.
Secondly, I want to continue the work I started in New Zealand in the United States of America, learning together how we can build the capacity of young people to be peacemakers by creating a culture of care in schools. Rather then being treated as passive receptors of punishment and retribution, my research shows that we need to engage with our students in building our thinking and behavior around how we respond to wrongdoing and conflict, particularly in schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment